FAST FACTS


About City of Orange Township, New Jersey

 

History

The City of Orange, first settled in 1780, was named after England's ruling house, the House of Orange. The railroad first came to Orange in 1836, transporting freight and passengers from Orange to Newark.

 

Location

Orange is a city of 2.2 square miles. Small in size, but large in scope! The New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Interstate 280 have not only opened the entire state to us, but also made the greater metropolitan area market only minutes away.

 

Transportation

Orange is a city of 2.2 square miles. Small in size, but large in scope! The New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Interstate 280 have not only opened the entire state to us, but also made the greater metropolitan area market only minutes away.

 

Population

Over 33,000 residents...and growing! Orange's diverse population includes the availability of qualified skilled workers.

 

Business & Industry

Orange was formerly known as the "hat manufacturing capital of the world." The old structures have been converted to such diverse uses as commercial printing, photographic processing, building material supply, assembly and light manufacturing businesses. The ease of access to markets and affordable facility costs make Orange especially attractive to small-to-medium-sized businesses.

 

Local "Flavor"

Orange is most well known for its culinary offerings. Our highly rated restaurants boast a variety of cuisines including Spanish, Mexican, Creole, Southern, West Indian, and some of the best Italian food this side of the Atlantic.

 

Financial Institutions

Branches of many of the region's major banks are located in the central business district, including Hudson City Bank, Washington Mutual, Bank of America, and PNC Bank.

 

Form of Government

Mayor - Council. City Council consists of four (4) ward representatives and three (3) at-large representatives.

 

 

 

 

 



Orange Reservoir is a reservoir located in the reservation's northern tract. Within the borders of West Orange, it is owned by the City of Orange and operated and maintained under contract with United Water. The man-made lake is no longer part of the water-supply system and since the late 2000s (decade) various proposals have been made to allow its use as a recreational resource as part of the Recreational Complex. The complex abutting the reservoir includes a miniature golf course, and a boathouse-restaurant opened in 2011. Under the direction of Mayor Warren and the City Council, the Orange Reservoir was leased to Essex County for $1.6 million. Under the lease, the county is responsible for renovation and maintenance; renovation plans include a dock, paddle boats, an outdoor patio and fireplace, and lighted walkways around the water.