- CITY COUNCIL
ONLINE BILL PAYMENT • FORMS, PERMITS AND LICENSE APPLICATIONS • TRANSPARANCY
DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING
Code Enforcement Inspections
The mission of the Code Enforcement Division is to enforce the Property Maintenance Code to protect the public health, safety, morals, and welfare by establishing minimum standards governing the maintenance, appearance, condition, and occupancy of residential and non-residential premises.
Items generally looked at for at for Certificate of Habitability Inspections:
1. Work done without permits
2. Working Smoke Detector on each level, including basement
3. Carbon Monoxide Detector, one per unit. Usually in sleeping area or level
4. Relief valves on hot water heater and boiler piped in to within 8" of floor.
5. Sump pump (if present) is piped to the outside of house or unit.
(Not connected to sanitary sewer line.)
6. Hand rails for anything over two (2) steps
7. All switch and outlet covers in place
8. Stairs in good shape, interior and exterior. (No loose treads or bricks.)
9. Attached garages, no holes in walls or ceilings
10. All toilets and faucets in working order
11. Hot water. (110 degrees min.) Hot faucet on left side
12. Proper fit and venting of furnace/boiler and hot water heater to chimney
13. Electric service panel in good shape (no openings)
14. No exposed wires or open electrical boxes
15. No broken windows or glass
16. Any visible safety faults